Sunday, November 13, 2011

Teal Ombre Birthday Cake



I recently hosted a big surprise party for my Dad's 60th birthday. One of the many desserts I made was a teal ombre cake. I had seen some many pictures of pink ombre cakes on the net and really wanted to make one my self, as I am obsessed with ombre right now. The theme for the party was 1950's. The main colours we used were teal, tiffany blue, light blue and cream.

It's super easy to make an ombre cake. All you have to do is choose your favourite white or vanilla cake base (recipe or boxed mix) and tint the batter to your liking. The hardest part is making sure that the layers have a different amount of dye. Also the colour lightens when baked so you need to make sure there is a gradual difference, which can be quite hard.

To make a four layer cake you need a double batch of batter and two 8" round cake pans. Make sure to grease the pans and put a layer of parchment paper on the bottom for easy release. Each batch makes two layers. Let them cool then stack them with vanilla buttercream between the layers. I did a crumb coat on the outside and a final dot (not really sure what it is called) technique on the final outer layer. I also made some star decorations with my cricut cake machine and put them on floral wire.

Crumb coat

Dots

Dots, smeared 


It turned out to be a great cake, especially it being the first cake I have made. I'm a cupcake girl!


This is the only picture of inside the cake that was taken. The knife we had just shredded the cake but you still get what it looks like.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment