Monday, May 30, 2011

Batter Chatter with Aneesa from A Slice Above

Beach themed wedding


I have a friend from high school that has been decorating cakes for the past three years.  She started off making cakes for herself because of a severe allergy, which turned into a great business.  Here is a little interview I did with her over facebook. Check it out!

Me: What made you start A Slice Above?


Aneesa: Due to my own severe food allergies, if I wanted cake I almost always had to make it myself. So having made so many cakes for friend's and family occasions, I started having more and more people asking me for cakes with interesting designs themes.


Me:  Is this your full time job? Did you go to post-secondary for something else?


Aneesa: This has become my full-time job. I have post secondary education from a private aesthetics college, where I ended up working in the spa and eventually became one of the instructors there. But due to an old car accident injury, I had to take off so much time from work to rehabilitate (and later had to leave) because of that I had more time to take on more cake requests.


Me: What are some of your favourite cakes? or style?


Aneesa: I prefer cake orders that are unique and ones that allow me to let my creativity run wild. I like  having leeway, making each order special. I often have no clue what I'm going to do until I'm actually working on it!


Me: Have you had any famous clients?


Aneesa: Jully Black is definitely a client. I've done other cakes for bigger names but I wouldn't necessarily call them clients. I did a cake for the cast of "Battle of the Blades, Season two" (where I've become friend with Theo Fleury from the Calgary Flames...) ;)

Me: What is your favourite flavour of cake?

Aneesa: I'm always a fan of a good moist, rich, chocolate cake! Can't go wrong there!!!

Me: What's next for A Slice Above?

Aneesa: My short term plan is to continue doing as many corporate, charity, or high profile gigs (and of course my regular "all" occasion cakes) as I can get to see where my business takes me. Long term plan...I'm leaving it in the hands of the universe, I never planned to be doing this in the first place and it just sort of happened. I look forward to seeing where I (and my edible creations) end up!


Aneesa offers peanut and nut free cakes as well as dairy free, egg free, vegan and gluten free cakes plus she does some really excellent work. Please check out her facebook page where there are tons of other pictures and her contact info.  I wish her all the luck!  These are some of my favourite cakes she's done, I have an affinity to food cakes.

Pizza cake

Made for a women who had just won the battle against
breast cancer

Made for Bluebird: A Food & Art Thing

Spaghetti and Meatballs cake
Enjoy 


No comments:

Post a Comment