Saturday, January 15, 2011

Prosecco Cupcakes

Happy New Year's, well I guess it isn't really that new saying it's mid-Janurary so maybe Old Year's instead.  One thing I did learn from New Year's is that I love Prosecco and Campari (with a little orange juice), it might just be my new favourite drink.

My Mom and I decided for our New Year's party we'd do an Italian theme saying a bit of my background is Italian.  While I was trying to figure out what we were going to have for dessert I came across a traditional drink that is served at New Year's for good luck in the coming year, called the Venetian Spritz. All it is, is 2 oz. of Prosecco, 1 oz. of Campari, a lemon twist and a green olive.  I thought to myself what don't I make this drink into a cupcake.


The cupcake base uses the Prosecco and the frosting uses the Campari and Prosecco, the cupcake was gorgeous and light, the bitterness of the Campari offset the sweetness of the Prosecco made a great combination.  This cupcake could be made with any type of sparkling beverage, including Champagne.  Here is the recipe.

Cupcake

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1-3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Prosecco

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, whisk together and set aside.  Cream butter for about 1 minute and add sugar, mix for about another minute. Add one egg at a time and mix until fully incorporated.  Add vanilla and sour cream.  Add the dry ingredients and alternate with the Prosecco.  Mix until the batter looks smooth.  Using an ice cream scoop (or spoon if you do not have one) scoop the batter into a lined cupcake tin.  Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.

Frosting/Icing

3/4 cup butter
2 Tbsp. Prosecco + 1 Tbsp. Campari
2-2-1/2 cup icing sugar

Cream butter for about two minutes, until fluffy.  Add the liquor.  Add the icing sugar in one cup increments until the consistency is how you like it.  Mix until light and fluffy.

Time to decorate!  My colour theme was gold so I used some gold piping icing, putting stripes of it along my piping bag then putting my frosting in the bag.  The light pink frosting came out with nice little gold stripes.  The decorating opportunities are endless.  

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment