Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sour Cream Cake Glazed Donuts

Donuts, donuts, yummy yummy donuts!  I love donuts, I know they aren't great for my waste line but they are a yummy treat.  For Christmas I was given a mini donut maker and the book Doughnuts by Lara Ferroni so I thought it would be a great time to finally use it.  

Well, the donut maker isn't really that good but the recipes from the book are great.  I first tried the regular baked donuts recipe which would have been good but due to the maker they were not.  So I decided to kick it old school (or true school) and take out the wok to deep fry a batch of Old-Fashioned Sour Cream donuts. They tasted awesome, my only issue was coming into obstacles along the way. 

Just one but probably the most important, my candy thermometer was broken.  When I was rolling out the dough I look over to the wok and there is water bubbling away in it, then oil started coming in the tube.  The result was my oil was way too hot and almost burnt the donuts.  They do look burnt but the dough is dark already so it's not as bad as it looks.  They were really yummy but not as good at Tim Horton's sour cream glazed.

The recipe is super easy to make, I would make these lovelies again maybe next time with some apple filling or something. 

1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/3 cup superfine sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 tbsp. butter or shortening

Sift together dry ingredients.  In another bowl whisk together sugar, sour cream, egg and butter.  Slowly add the dry until the dough forms.  Put in the fridge for 15 minutes.  Roll out the dough and cut with cookie cutters.  Heat your oil to 360 degrees and fry for 1-3 minutes depending on the size of your donuts.  Take donuts out and drain on a piece of paper towel.  Once they are completely cooled dip into glaze (3/4 cup powdered sugar plus 2 tbsp. milk).

Rolled out dough

Oil

Dough circles

Cut out dough

Just out of the fryer

Glazed Donuts

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment