Saturday, November 13, 2010

Birthday Cake Ice Cream

August 2nd was my boyfriend’s 30th birthday, I had promised I’d make him a birthday cake. As I usually do I got a little sidetracked and decided instead of decorating a cake I’d use the cake in some sort of birthday ice cream. I had to think of what I’d put into a birthday cake ice cream, it really didn’t take me that long as I make cakes all the time. Frosting, sprinkles and cake, that was the easy part but I wanted to make the ice cream base a little different. My boyfriend loves sweetened condensed milk so I made the base with that.

The ice cream turned out really nice, although not enough fat content (will definitely change that for next time), I used light cream which in Ontario is 5%, I ideally didn’t want to use anything under 10% but the cream was already bought when I noticed the difference. What was my saving grace was that the frosting added a little extra creaminess.













This ice cream tastes awesome, it’s like a giant birthday party in your mouth. Here’s the recipe if you want to try it too.

1 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 cups light cream (I’d use whipping cream next time)
1 cup of pre made cake
1/2 cup buttercream frosting
2 T. sprinkles

Whisk the condensed milk and cream until it is fully mixed together. Add the liquid to your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s directions. With about 2 minutes left add the sprinkles. When complete add the frosting and mix throughly then mix in the cake. Transfer into an air tight container and put in freezer until the ice cream sets to your desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment