Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pear and Blue Cheese Strudel


One of my favourite flavour combinations is blue cheese and pear.  I saw this recipe in the newest edition of the Food and Drink magazine from the LCBO.  The recipe wasn't actually a feature but an advertisement by Rosenborg cheese.  The recipe uses one of their new cheeses, Blue with Fruit.  They have ones with apricots, cranberries and pear.


The following is the recipe that I made with a few changes.  They also left out some essential information in their instructions so I added them here.

5 pears Medium pears, peeled and thinly sliced 
2 tbsp (30 mL) Brown sugar (I didn't use the brown sugar, I like my stuff more savoury) 
¼ tsp (1 mL) Allspice (I used cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg)
¼ cup (50 mL) Currents or seedless raisins 
¼ cup (50 mL) Rosenborg-Castello® Blue Cheese with Pear 
1 package of filo pastry 
½ cup (125 mL)Butter, melted 
Icing sugar for garnish


Place pears in a large bowl, add brown sugar, allspice, currants or raisins, hazelnuts and blue cheese; stir gently to combine. 


Remove filo pastry from package and cover with a damp cloth (prevent during while assembling the strudel). Place one sheet of filo pasty on a dry kitchen towel, brush sheet with melted butter; stack second sheet evenly over top and repeat process until all filo sheets are used. Brush last top sheet with melted butter and pour pear mixture onto pastry leaving a 2” (5 cm) edge on three sides and a 3” (7 cm) edge at one end. Using the kitchen towel as a guide, roll the pastry tightly into a log tucking in ends as you roll. 







Carefully place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Brush with remaining butter and score top of strudel lightly. Bake for 60 minutes in a 350 degree oven. 


Note: I found that my pastry was really done on the outside and not totally done on the inside.  Next time I would not use the whole packet maybe 1/2 - 3/4s.


Note 2: Just talked to my Mom, she said to use only 6-7 pieces.  Also you can put bread crumbs between each layer to make it more flakey.





1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious...pear and blue cheese is a winning combination!

    ReplyDelete