Saturday, November 13, 2010

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream


For my birthday I got a ice cream maker.  I’ve been wanting an ice cream maker for quite some time and was so happy when I finally got one.  For my birthday my boyfriend and I went strawberry picking (the first time in his life) and got a big pail of berries.  Therefore, my first batch of ice cream had to be something with strawberries.

On the way out, the farm was selling rhubarb so I decided to pick some up to use in our first batch of ice cream.  Of course we forgot to put the ice cream cylinder in the freezer before we left so we had to wait until the next day to make the ice cream (the waiting felt like forever).  
The next morning I cut up the strawberries and stewed the rhubarb.  I used 3 cups of strawberries and 1 cup of rhubarb.  


Mixed all of the milk, cream and sugar in together until the sugar dissolved and added the strawberries and rhubarb. Then into the maker it went.
 After the ice cream was in the maker for 20 minutes it went into an air tight container to solidify.  The result was magnificent!


 After tasting the final product I have two changes I would make for next time.  One, increase the amount of rhubarb to two cups.  Two, mash the strawberries into smaller pieces as the big frozen chunks in your mouth is hard to bite into especially if you don’t like those kind of things (I was covered in goose bumps every time I bit into a berry).

No comments:

Post a Comment